- Iron and Ironing board
- seam ripper
- clover clips
- Cutting tools
- Place fabric pieces right sides together and clip elastic into the corners on the short side.
- Sew all the way around the rectangles using a 1/2 inch seam allowance leaving a whole to flip right side out. note: backstitch well over elastic in corners.
- Trim corners to reduce bulk, flip right side out and press.
- Create 3 pleats and clip into place by eyeballing the measurement OR make 3 marks and use the seam to create pleat as you sew down. Back stitch over pleats to make sure they are strong.
- Sew around the rest of the mask, trim threads and you’re done!
It is helpful to prewash fabric, but you can wash it at the end as well.
Use polyester thread
Make front and lining 2 different fabrics so you know which fabric has been exposed to potential contaminants.
6.5 elastic works better for women or those with a more narrow face. 7 inches each for men or those with a more broad face.
I did 3 pleats, or if you do smaller pleats you can do 5.
If you have floral wire, you can insert that in the nose section to make a tighter fit. I used pipe cleaners in some of my tests, but they did not hold up in the wash.